PDA

View Full Version : C8080 Low light action shots

rcmlamar
07-21-2005, 09:43 PM
I take photos for a local race track (dirt).Day light shots are great but at night with low light the shot are not so good and very grainy.Any info on this matter would be great. Thanks

Jim2386
07-23-2005, 08:56 PM
I take nite sports shots. With a point and shoot it's nearly impossible. If you had an SLR, you can set the iso as high as 1200 without getting any noise. Basically the answer is, if you have an point and shoot, you're pretty much going to have to deal with noise in low light situations with fast motion. I tend to set my shutter for 1/125, and the aperature as close to 2.8 as I can get it. Set the iso for about 200.

Many times your images will come out blurry with these settings. It depends how fast the person is moving and how well you can follow him with your camera while the shutter is open. But once you get the hang out it, they will come out sharp. However, they will be slightly underexposed. If you can get software like Adobe photoshop, you can lighten the photos to the proper exposure after. That's about as much success as I've had so far and i've been trying to take indoor sports shots for years. It's tough. You really need what the pros use. They have remote flashes up in the rafters of the building that go off when they click the shutter that lights up the whole court. But I don't have a bazillion dollars and I don't think these public sports arenas would like me hanging from the rafters.

-Jim

speaklightly
07-26-2005, 01:28 PM
Jim-

Perhaps the new higher ISO capable point and shoot digital cameras such as the Fuji F-10 or the Olympus Stylus 800 which can shoot at ISO speeds up to ISO 1600 might solve your problem.

Sarah Joyce

Geoff Chandler
07-27-2005, 04:01 PM
Some of these newer P&S cameras seem to be a bit better on the noise stakes - but non of them approach a reasonable dSLR - so one day, no doubt, I will join the dSLR club - it as always my aim, though size and convenience etc have steered me away.
My A-200 goes to 800ASA and I have experimented with it - it's a touch noisy but it can be smoothed out with a noise filter. It also has a reasonably bright lens, f2.8-3.5 ~ not staggering -just reasonably good. Night shots are pretty good on the whole - I have yet to try it in concert conditions - the C-740 managed a fair job, although occasionally it failed to lock focus.
Changing from observation to Question now
I would like to know if anyone knows or has a list of definitions concerning all these graphic processes - eg Gausian, Median, etc, with Blur and Noise filters. I would like to know how they differ and what is best in different situations. At the moment I only jhave the 'onboard' Noise, blur etc that comes with Serif Photo shop 8 - soon to be upgraded to 9 (I think they are up to 10 now). They work OK but are not awfully good for fine tweaking - I played around with the trial download someone advertised on here recently - trouble is it won't allow you to properly use it without coughing up - so I would rather look into it a bit more before purchasing.

speaklightly
07-28-2005, 06:11 AM
Geoff-

It is just my personal opinion, but I believe that Noise Nija and Neat Image are the two best noise reduction pieces of software. Yes, the noise filters in Photoshop, Digital Image Pro 10, and PaintShop Pro 9,0 are good but they do not surpass Noise Ninja or Neat Image.

Sarah Joice