PDA

View Full Version : Unbiased opinion - Sony vs. Fuji

GMNelson
07-08-2004, 05:51 PM
I'm fairly new to the digital photo world. I've had a couple of real crappy cameras to do some web stuff, but I want to pursue digital photography as a serious hobby.

Right now, I'm stuck between the Sony DSC F717 and the Fuji FinePix S7000. Has anyone else compared these two cameras, side-by-side? If so, what was your decision and how did you come to it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

JDR7171988
07-08-2004, 08:10 PM
Get the Sony. We're anti-Fuji here.

Jake Conner
07-08-2004, 10:23 PM
The Fuji probably has slightly better overall image quality, and it has a faster lens with a little more power on both ends. It also has better macro and uses CF cards instead of the Sony's expensive, proprietary MemorySticks. The Sony has far better low-light focussing and a swivel lens. If you do lots of shooting in crowds or low light, I might choose the Sony, but the Fuji wins overall.

Jake

GMNelson
07-09-2004, 04:52 AM
Get the Sony. We're anti-Fuji here.

Are there some better options?

Here are my requirements:

1. Relative newbie so I need something that's fairly easy to use.
2. I'm looking for high resolution and good color.
3. Would like a camera I can "accessorize" over time - wide-angle, telephoto, etc.
4. General use - mostly outdoor shots, some portraits.

Does the Sony DSC F717 fit the bill?

Nick
07-09-2004, 08:01 AM
I used the Sony F717 for a long time, and I have it still. Mine has in excess of 20,000 shots on it, and it's still going good. If you really want to ' accessorize ' , dSLR is the way to go, but that isn't what you're looking for. Sony does offer a wide angle lense, telephoto add-on, and a flash or two for the F717.

What can I tell you about the camera? Downside first; it uses Memorystick format, which is damn expensive to obtain in large amounts, a 1GB stick costs around 400. That's about all I was unhappy with.

It has a very, very nice EVF. The LCD on it is also beautiful, and movie mode works very fine on the HQX quality setting. The swivel lense is great for some odd angle shots, or for shooting overhead shots. Resolution is excellent, especially when at 5MP fine setting. The sony produces great colours right out of the box, so to say, and the detail in all photos is incredible. I can post a few to show you what I mean. This camera is also very capable of macro work. I love the lense on it, and while some may find the design odd, you come to 'cradle' it in your hand and it feels very natural. To add to that, it has a pleasant amount of weight, and doesn't feel like a toy, rather very well built. The battery lasts a long time - although I had three :P but barely used the other two.

I've used this camera for scenery work, portrait, and general photography, including some action shots from concerts. Lots of shots were used for a yearbook and were published, and the pages came out very crisp and beautiful. I love this camera to death, and even though my D70 surpasses it, I still lug it around everywhere, and very much value it. Get it!

GMNelson
07-09-2004, 08:17 AM
So what about the D70? Is it more than I need right now? How about the Nikon CoolPix 5700? Any experience with that one?

Nick
07-09-2004, 08:45 AM
I wouldn't take the Coolpix over the Sony. It lacks the manual focusing ring, and I believe the Sony focuses better in low light compared to the 5700. The CP's lense moves back and forth evidently, while the zoom in the Sony is internal; the lense does not grow or expand in size ;)

The D70 is expensive compared to the Sony, Fuji, and the Nikon CP. dSLRs do not allow you to frame your shot with the LCD, and the viewfinder doesn't give you 'what you see is what you get' ( which is pretty much what the Sony does ) image. So you can say there is and will be a fine learning curve.

However, focus speed ( anywhere, anything ) , ISO quality, image quality, shot to shot speed, and shutter lag , and variety of offered lenses are unbeatable.

GMNelson
07-09-2004, 10:04 AM
Thanks for you input, Nick. It is very helpful.

Nick
07-09-2004, 10:16 AM
Thank you, and glad if I was able to push you in some direction.

Sen
07-13-2004, 02:18 PM
GMNelson,

I didn't mean to confuse you, but here are few reasons why I chose Fuji S7000 over Sony:

1. Top most is, it uses AA batteries(no other camera in this category uses AA). I did't want to lug around another proprietary battery and a charger with me.
2. Fuji has both CF slot and xD slot. I can use cheap CF media up to a capacity of 2 Gb. (I hate memory sticks. Check out if 717 supports memory stick pro, if it is not then you are stuck with 128 cards)
3. Comparatively S7000 is less bulky than any other in its class.
4. It has a 12 mega pixel setting, not the very best, but good to make really very large prints.
5. Best of all it was the cheapest in its class, I could get it under $400.

As per your requirements, sure, Fuji fits well. You might have seen the reviews that Fuji cameras are always good in delivering colors. Menus are easy to navigage. You can also find all accessories such as wide angle and telephoto lenses.

-Sen

GMNelson
07-16-2004, 09:55 PM
I finally made the jump and bought the Sony DSC F717 from Ritz Camera (see "Where should I buy my camera?").

I'm a relative newby to the world of photography and I'm very happy with my choice so far. I've taken a couple of really cool shots and am just amazed at the quality of the pix.

There's still a lot to learn with this camera but most of the automatic settings seem sufficient for a beginner like me. The NightFraming thing is cool, too.

Thanks to all for the advice. I gather from this site that most everyone has at least two cameras so I'll be back looking for some pointers on camera #2. :)