PDA

View Full Version : Fellow A95 users...

Homer's Brain
09-15-2004, 07:56 PM
I just recently got my new A95. I like it and it seems to be a superb camera. However, I have a question on the zoom.

It seems noisy, definately noisier than my A20, but I'm not sure compared to another A95 or even an A80. I'm going to check it out with another model on the shoroom floor, but just curiuous if any of you guys had noticed that as well.

Alnath
09-16-2004, 04:09 AM
My A80 was a lot noiser than my A20 if that makes you feel any better?

Homer's Brain
09-16-2004, 07:08 AM
Yea, it does a little...I'm sure it's normal, just unnerving. I'll know more when I head to the shop to see if theirs does it too.

im_dragon
09-16-2004, 12:21 PM
The A95 is my first digital camera, so I don't have anything to compare against. So far, the indoor pictures at ISO 400 setting actually seem to have less graininess (noise in digital world) compared to that of film. In other words, my A95 seems to produce "cleaner" low-light pictures than 35mm film of the same ISO.

This is just an impression that I have, and not a definite conclusion as I haven't done any side-by-side comparisons under a microscope of the same scene and shooting environment.

Homer's Brain
09-17-2004, 08:30 AM
hehe I work in a medical research imaging facility, I plan on doing some very specific tests of different ISO's and apertures when the tripod and lenses arrive. I'll print them on a Fujix we have and then put them under the dissectiong scope. I'll post the images here on the forums if anyone would like. I figure next week I'll have them shot.

CanonManiac
09-18-2004, 10:39 AM
hehe I work in a medical research imaging facility, I plan on doing some very specific tests of different ISO's and apertures when the tripod and lenses arrive. I'll print them on a Fujix we have and then put them under the dissectiong scope. I'll post the images here on the forums if anyone would like. I figure next week I'll have them shot.

please post them when you got them

Homer's Brain
09-19-2004, 12:04 AM
Well, the lenses I ordered aren't the right ones...leave it to the guys in a PHOTO SHOP not to order the right adapter ring NOR did they order the right lenses...*sigh* ah well.

Some time early this week, I'll go shoot some regular shots, print them on the Fujix and/or dye sub's we have...throw them under the dissecting scope and then post them if you'd like...

What kind of shots are you wanting? Night? Lots of color? etc? I'll mainly be adjusting for ISO and apertures, looking for graininess and saturation, etc. Unfortunately for now, it will only be with the stock camera.

bibby
09-19-2004, 02:14 PM
Night shots would be nice...

I'll use my camera for photos taken at some party with lot of various-coulour-lights.

That would be nice to see! :)

im_dragon
09-19-2004, 07:39 PM
Homer,

Why go through all that trouble just to find out how noisy the A95 is? I wouldn't bother going through the trouble myself. After all, it's only a cheap point-and-shoot camera designed for casual snap shooters. If you want to take serious photographs, don't use the A95.

Anyway, if you want to conduct the tests and post data, please do. I wouldn't mind looking at it. At 5Mp, the A95 should be just about the same or slightly better than ISO400 35mm film. It would be interesting if someone would post data to prove it.

Homer's Brain
09-19-2004, 07:57 PM
I'm mainly doing it to compare it to my MarkII, but some people here had mentioned putting it under a microscope, and I have a few of them at my disposal hehe (http://imaging1.ouhsc.edu). So it's not much for me to do it if people want to see them.