PDA

View Full Version : help needed with printing

markyb
07-16-2005, 12:48 PM
hi guys
ive posted one or two posts regarding printed photos not looking the same as on the pc monitor.
ie:colours not as vivid on the printed ones.
all the replys seem to be the same . calibration. both printer and monitor.
i tried the monitor using the adobe gamma setting .
apart from changing my monitors colouring the printed photos were no better or worse.
thinking about it how can changing the monitor colours affect the finished print.
its like taping off the tv on to a vcr the recording comes off the original source ie:ariel or sat dish.
it doesnt matter if the tv screen is b&w or even if no tv is present. the recording is still the same.
so why should this be any different. the photo is coming off the hard drive or the memory card if it is in a reader.ive also tried changing settings on the printer r200. printed the same pic over and over again with and without print image matching . i find it better without pim.
so what is my next move

SamPhilly
07-16-2005, 02:26 PM
What type of printer, ink, paper are you using? I am using a Canon pixma 5000, Canon Paper, and Canon ink. I've tried to using a different brand of paper and ink with extremely poor results.

I try to adjust my monitor to match closely what comes out of the printer, things would look great on the monitor but not the printer. So I adjusted to the monitor to match the printer output.

markyb
07-16-2005, 05:16 PM
im using an epson r200 printer with epsons own glossy 7x5 paper.
how did you manage to match printer with monitor, like i said ive tried with no luck

Balrog
07-17-2005, 08:01 AM
Calibrating the monitor won't change the colors of the print, but think of it this way: You're changing the monitor to display the *true* colors of the photo .. uncalibrated monitors often don't show colors the same way (specially depending on color temperature .. ). Ever tried changing from 9300K to 6500K on a monitor? there's a WORLD of difference ..

markyb
07-17-2005, 03:53 PM
right seem to be getting somewere now.
however colours displayed on monitor seem to be the same that are displayed on camera screen.
my monitor is set to rgb i tried the 6500 and 9300 funny greenish tint on screen.
so how would you recomend i calibrate my monitor.
if it worked for you i would realy like to have a go .
any help would be appreciated

SamPhilly
07-18-2005, 10:23 AM
The way I did it. I took a printout of something with a lot of color, then I fiddled with the monitor controls to match that printout. Made it what you see is what you get. Now, when I play in photoshop I know how it's going to look.