PDA

View Full Version : Nikon D1 - Anyone got one?

kornhauser
07-16-2005, 07:27 AM
I just bought a used Nikon D1 on eBay last night. I'm delighted to be getting it and can wait to play around with it.

I already own a Nikon 8800. I'm curious to see how many D1 owners still are out there and do you have any recommendations for accessories? The sale was for the body only. So I know I need a battery, charger, one or two start-up lenses and a flash. Thinking maybe a flash that will fit the 8800 and the D1.

Thoughts?

D70FAN
07-16-2005, 07:18 PM
I just bought a used Nikon D1 on eBay last night. I'm delighted to be getting it and can wait to play around with it.

I already own a Nikon 8800. I'm curious to see how many D1 owners still are out there and do you have any recommendations for accessories? The sale was for the body only. So I know I need a battery, charger, one or two start-up lenses and a flash. Thinking maybe a flash that will fit the 8800 and the D1.

Thoughts?

I think you will be a happy camper with the D1. I considered bidding on that one as well. Almost 3MP, but great performance and you can use all of those great old AI and AIS (now cheap) lenses. Keep us posted. ;)

kornhauser
07-16-2005, 08:33 PM
I think you will be a happy camper with the D1. I considered bidding on that one as well. Almost 3MP, but great performance and you can use all of those great old AI and AIS (now cheap) lenses. Keep us posted. ;)

George,

Help me out. I know I can use the Nikkor F lenses. What's the AI and AIS?

As far as the 3MB (2.7MB actual) I'm not concerned. Everything I do with the 8800 is at 3MB. I hardly ever bump it up to 8MB. I've got storage concerns and most of my photos wind up as 4X6 pictures or computer wallpaper.

D70FAN
07-16-2005, 10:26 PM
George,

Help me out. I know I can use the Nikkor F lenses. What's the AI and AIS?

As far as the 3MB (2.7MB actual) I'm not concerned. Everything I do with the 8800 is at 3MB. I hardly ever bump it up to 8MB. I've got storage concerns and most of my photos wind up as 4X6 pictures or computer wallpaper.

AI stands for Auto Indexing and AIS stands for Auto Indexing Shutter.

Here is an easy read:

http://www.cameraquest.com/aidaiais.htm

I am definately interested in your journey with the D1, as I am still seriously considering this camera as well.

kornhauser
07-17-2005, 05:51 AM
I found the camera will run on eBay for around $400.00 if you're patient. I bidded on one prior that went way too high. Just the regular D1 too. Seen several D1h and D1X models as well, but they fetch high dollar.

I found several Tamron lenses on eBay last night after I read your post. Such as http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7530459733&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1. I'd be interested in your opinion. It's not a high dollar lens, but seems like it will do alright.

I think the most expensive part of this new camera is going to be the battery and charger!

D70FAN
07-17-2005, 07:18 AM
I found the camera will run on eBay for around $400.00 if you're patient. I bidded on one prior that went way too high. Just the regular D1 too. Seen several D1h and D1X models as well, but they fetch high dollar.

I found several Tamron lenses on eBay last night after I read your post. Such as http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7530459733&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1. I'd be interested in your opinion. It's not a high dollar lens, but seems like it will do alright.

I think the most expensive part of this new camera is going to be the battery and charger!

I would stay away from most of the older Tamron and Sigma "cheap" lenses, with the exception of the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 (~$360) and the Sigma 18-50 f2.8 (~$380), 18-125 (~$270), and maybe the Sigma18-200 (~$400).

A better low cost lens might be the new Nikon 18-55 (introduced for the D50) is supposed to be a decent zoom lens for about $150. This would probably be the best overall choice for a low-cost starter zoom lens. And you might also want to look at the 50mm f1.8 fixed focus as well.

I have been pretty happy with the Sigma 18-125 in tandom with the 50mm f1.8 on the D70.

Down the road you can start looking at the manual focus lenses out there, as there are some bargains to be had. Unfortunately not an option for D70 shooters.

kornhauser
07-19-2005, 04:55 PM
I called Nikon yesterday and was very surprised at their answer when I asked about lenses. All positive. Thankfully I hooked up with a technical support rep. that had one (though they all might say that) and he was very helpful. I was also a little tickled that he found the www.ebay.com price I paid as very low.

He told me that the first requirement be that any lens have an "F" mount. That being said he recommended the following lenses:

1. Nikon Nikkor AF
2. Any Nikon "D" series lenses
3. Any Nikon "G" series lenses

He told me to avoid the AI and AIS right away. Something to do with the D1 model enjoying the sensoring in the above mentioned lenses.

I also asked his opinion on the other available commercial lenses. Surprisingly he was very honest about them. Considering most companies only recommend their products, this rep. told me that there was nothing wrong with either the Sigma or Tamron lenses and that they're perfectly compatable; though might be slightly slower than the Nikon. :)

bobcat323
07-07-2006, 05:17 PM
I see where you just bought a D1 from Ebay, I have one to sell and I was wondering what you gave for the D1 if you don't mind telling me.

rawpaw18
07-07-2006, 05:36 PM
I see where you just bought a D1 from Ebay,

That was a year ago, so the price may be a bit off.

You could do a search of completed sales for the D1 on EBAY, to see what they currently sell for.

Looks like $250-$300 (us) range.

bobcat323
07-07-2006, 05:43 PM
Thanks, I will see if I can figure out how to do that. Thanks for the info.

rawpaw18
07-07-2006, 05:45 PM
I just edited my post after checking ebay, $250-$300ish

rawpaw18
07-07-2006, 05:47 PM
Where are my manners, welcome to the forum. :)