PDA

View Full Version : Does the FZ20 12x zoom work?

MikeCamp
09-14-2004, 10:00 PM
You be the judge :D . Very last row of Wrigley Field 9/14/04. Can't get any further away from home plate.

Dead center last row of Wrigley: :eek:
http://home.comcast.net/~campabello/lastrow.JPG

Zoom in action: :)
http://home.comcast.net/~campabello/zoom.JPG

One more thing, no tri-pod, IS works well but you still need a steady hand. :D

propwash
09-15-2004, 08:40 AM
Does the zoom work?

WOW!!!

D70FAN
09-15-2004, 06:41 PM
You be the judge :D . Very last row of Wrigley Field 9/14/04. Can't get any further away from home plate.

Dead center last row of Wrigley: :eek:
http://home.comcast.net/~campabello/lastrow.JPG

Zoom in action: :)
http://home.comcast.net/~campabello/zoom.JPG

One more thing, no tri-pod, IS works well but you still need a steady hand. :D

Never a doubt.

IVIIVI4ck3y27
09-16-2004, 05:39 PM
Likely as was with the DMC-FZ10 model (which I own [the k version of] and love), IS is only there to help make a situation better that would otherwise be unbearable with any other camera. I doubt that any camera without image stabilization with that large of a zoom could likely produce the quality that the Panasonic models produce at that range, and with as good a percentage of success in handheld mode. Image stabilization helps... it doesn't help you take the impossible, but helps make the improbable at the very least, feasible. :)

I love my FZ10, and while I also think the Powershot S1 IS is a very good buy for the price; I am still more than overjoyed with my purchase and have no regrets even coming from someone that's a lifelong Canon fan. The FZ15 and FZ20 models also look to be quite awesome, although neither seems to be substantially superior in any way to my FZ10 to have me wishing I'd waited.

The Powershot at 10x takes incredible photos, but it lacks that extra distance in comparison to the Panasonic models, it has less megapixels than the Panasonic models (not that it was sufficiently so, as to me 3-5 megapixels can be sketchy in terms of image quality depending on a ton of factors), and while it's a very nice camera... it's not as crafty or artsy in it's construction, it doesn't feel as substantial as the Panasonic models. It's a good alternative if you don't like the Panasonic, but I still feel the Panasonic feels/operates better in most instances, with exceptions being movie mode (can zoom while shooting with the Powershot) and likely focus speed (one of the real bastions of the DMC-FZ10). The Canon has less blurred images, but that's because it only zooms to 10x. Shooting at 10x comparable with the Panasonic provides equal results from my vantage.

That said...

I'd like to see a faster focus system on the FZ models (sometimes it's painfully slow, especially compared to other cameras I've used, of course none had a zoom near this large to try and reign in), and maybe a better built-in flash (either too bright or not bright enough depending on range), and more controls over the flash intensity, timing, etc.... but other than that, the camera is rock solid in design and construction, it's interfaced very well, and has an artistic look and tactile feel that is the head of the class IMHO.

Manual focus can be a bit disconcerting, disorienting, and frustrating but it's never really been a joy on any non-SLR digital camera (regardless of brand, and the Panasonic is better than many comparable models who lack the feature at all, or have inferior interfacing for accessing it); but it does warrant improvement as well to become better as capable. The first person that comes up with a way to make the digital camera's manual focus better or comparable to the real non-digital cameras (i.e. D-SLR's, SLR's, etc.) will have surely stepped things up a notch in comparison to what we have now. I also run into problems with auto focus when trying to shoot through very fine chain link or mesh surfaces. Rather than focus on the objects through the fence like my EOS would (desirable), it tends to focus on the fence itself thereby blurring objects in the background that I'm really wishing to focus on. It's remedied with considerable monkeying in manual focus mode, but once again... it's also a bit of a black art with the way manual focus works on a digital.

I did about 4 months research and hemming and hawing before I purchased the Panasonic. It was well worth the time. It's not perfect, but no camera ever is. It's the best I've used thus far though.

Of course a larger CCD sensor or perhaps a CMOS-based sensor and 6-8 megapixels is wishful thinking at this stage. :D That'll likely be the time I look to upgrade and maybe all of the other aspects will be fixed by then (either that or maybe the D-SLR's will come down even more in price; although the D-Rebel feels clunky in comparison to the Panasonic, would be hard to get used to the sacrifices in some ways in quality). hehe I just hope they don't change the design radically, because while it was disconcerting from the online photos I saw of it originally, it's seriously a work of art once you see one up close and in person. The online photos don't do the black bodied model justice. I was going to go with the silver one 'til I saw the black one in-store. It has an old world leatherette appearance quality to it that's impeccable.

As awesome as these cameras are, it amazes me that Panasonic doesn't tackle the D-SLR lineup themselves as well with Leica's (lens) help. I think they could come up with an amazing camera for what they've done with the FZ lineup.

Very nice shots by the way. ;)

BrokenGlass
10-06-2004, 10:30 PM
Wow wow wow that is amazing! Thanks for posting this!