PDA

View Full Version : *Ist DS silver/black - any difference besides the look?

MatH
07-14-2005, 06:01 AM
I was just about to order silver *Ist DS since I like it's retro look and the fact that majority owns black DSLRs and I'm a bit of anticonformist.
Before doing that I wanted to ask this question that may sound superfluous, but are there any differences between silver and black version? Does the silver coating tend to wear off? Any other backdraws of silver version? :confused:

jeisner
07-14-2005, 07:15 AM
Apart from the colour they are the same... I haven't heard anyone complain that the silver wears off...

MatH
07-14-2005, 08:03 AM
Just placed an order :)
Pentax *Ist DS silver and Sigma 18-50 f2.8 DC EX
but it will take two or three weeks for DS silver to arrive in store :(

jeisner
07-14-2005, 03:37 PM
congrats... :D

halcb
07-20-2005, 11:38 AM
MatH, you won't regret it... silver, black -- makes no difference. The ist DS is a fine camera. I am learning new things about it every time I shoot; it's a versatile little system that puts my Panasonic Lumix FZ20 (a nice EVF digital w/major zoom) to shame in terms of its image quality and speediness. Now if I can just save enough money for some nice lenses; sounds like you've selected a nice fast lens for your starting kit.
Good luck being patient for your package to arrive!

MatH
07-21-2005, 01:55 AM
I do a loot of shoting in the caves so I was looking for an afordable zoom lens with low f number. Sigma 18-50 seemed to be the optimal choice.
Anyways im egtting a black version. Dealer said something like the silver version isn't available here at all. That's fine with me, black it'll be.

MatH
08-13-2005, 06:53 AM
Finally!!! Went to the shop to pick it up yesterday. Can't take my eyes of it since.

astro
08-13-2005, 12:14 PM
MatH, you won't regret it... silver, black -- makes no difference. The ist DS is a fine camera. I am learning new things about it every time I shoot; it's a versatile little system that puts my Panasonic Lumix FZ20 (a nice EVF digital w/major zoom) to shame in terms of its image quality and speediness. Now if I can just save enough money for some nice lenses; sounds like you've selected a nice fast lens for your starting kit.
Good luck being patient for your package to arrive!

I concur. I sold my FZ15 to get the *ist DS. The quality is leaps and bounds better. The color I get from this camera is so much more pleasant.
Lens are pretty cheap too on ebay.
I got a few Pentax-M lenses from ebay for cheap, all SMC coated.
135mm F/3.5 - $48 shipped
300mm F/4 - $117 shipped

These old lens feels so much more solid than the kit lens. The focusing is so smooth, whereas on the kit lens, it feels flimsy.