PDA

View Full Version : c-5050 - total disappointment

mikuna
07-13-2005, 02:23 PM
I wanted to share my and my friends' experience with the c-5050 and ask for your comments/suggestions. The camera was working great up until its 14th-month birthday. Afterwards, it started making pictures that looked like a freshly made painting that was left under the rain. Total disappointment! In the meantime another friend, whose c-5050 was 13-month old, had the same experience, and another acquaintance of ours said he had absolutely the same problem.
There's definitely somehting worng with these cameras - any ideas what might cause that? What should I do? Does that mean the product shows some sort of a defect? Thanks a lot!!!

Rex914
07-13-2005, 11:15 PM
1) Cameras don't do that out of the blue. Are you absolutely certain that no accidental damage was done? It's rare for cameras to die after a year.

2) Post a sample of what you are talking about.

randyandy
09-15-2005, 06:29 AM
Hi there - sorry that I canīt help you - i only wanted to let you folks know that iīve got the exactly same trouble with my 14 months old C-5050.

Olympus support told me something about fixing-costs of at least 200,- € + shipment and tax !!! Are theese guys mad ?

I swear by god it was my last Olympus.

Is there perhaps someone outside, who might need a C-5050 in best condition, 14 months old, not a single scratch, no dirt, perhaps having made some 2.000 pics, with now the special function of pink, flury pics ? Or does soemeone know, how far a C-5050 can fly if thrown by hand ?

Or can someone help me ?

Many thanks in advance from Bavaria,

Andy

randyandy
09-15-2005, 06:44 AM
Hi Rex, Iīm sorry to correct you - these C-5050 do that ! My C-5050 is in best condition, without any damage, no moisture, no crash at all. See the attachment I found in another newsgroup - thatīs excactly what I saw from one day to the other. And it is more than suspicious, that meanwhile there is a whole community all over the world, sharing one experience: Sell your C-5050 within 12 months max. as a used one or sell it as waste after 13 or 14 months ! Best regards, andy

Elitefroggy
10-05-2005, 11:03 AM
That is so strange. Since it seems to have something to do with age, have you tried moving the date back a few months to see if that would have any bearing? :rolleyes:

kgosden
10-05-2005, 07:53 PM
There does seem to be a run on reports of this problem (or similar CCD related ones) on various Olympus boards. It seems limited to cameras that are only now hitting the 12-16 month age. Mine is now at 22 months and has been fine. I have not noticed any reports from those who bought the C5050-Z in the first months of production.

nellybly
10-07-2005, 07:00 AM
http://www.moon-stone.com/5050/
Maybe we can get Oly to do something about this.
NB

StanInNY
10-10-2005, 04:40 AM
In the recent weeks or two, Nikon, Canon, Konica-Minolta and Fujifilm have put out "advisory notices" describing the same problem. They specify that the wires connecting to the CD become disconnected after a while, resulting in either no picture viewable or grossly distorted images.

It seems that the problem is not a design flaw, but a CCD manufacturing error because the problems seem to affect only a specific range of serial numbers for those camera models.

Some of the manufacturers apologize and state that theywill repair the affected cameras, even if they are beyond the warranty period. Olympus shuold do the same - and NOW is the time to apply the pressure before the problem fades into history.

I saw these advisory notices at http://www.dpreview.com ,in the NEWS section - except for the Konica-Minolta notice that I saw somewhere else (I forgot where).

I now see that the site that nellybly refers to: http://www.moon-stone.com/5050/ , which states that Olympus also issued this type of advisory notice, but that Olympus claims that the problem "due to a combination of CCD quality and usage/storage conditions or age deterioration" - which may be an excuse for them to not offer free repairs. But in most countries products carry a legally-enforced implied (meaning it does not have to be stated in the actual warranty) warranty of "fitness for a particular use," which translates to mean that if usage/storage is reasonable (e.g. if you did not leave the camera in your freezer, bury it in the ground or take it into the shower, etc.) then the manufacturer (or in some cases, the seller) is responsible to fix the problem. AS for "age deterioration" - just how old are these models anyway?

I think it would be a good idea for all Olympus owners experiencing this problem to call and write Olympus directly in order to hound them. If they spend time answering many complaints from many aggravated users, they will worry more about their image (no pun intended). Olympus should be told that the following manufacturers have offered to fix cameras with this problem free of charge:

Sony, see http://www.dpreview.com/news/0510/05100701sony_ccds.asp

Canon, see http://www.dpreview.com/news/0510/05100602canon_ccdproblem.asp

Fujifilm, see http://www.dpreview.com/news/0510/05100403fuji_advisory.asp

I don't own any of these cameras, although I am considering the upcoming Olympus SP-350, among others. This problem angers me. I hope it will be resolved fairly and quickly.

Dobby
10-13-2005, 10:19 AM
My C5050 has twice provided batches of images with either a blue or red cast. The first time I thought I must have inadvertently changed a settting, but couldn't think what. But having read some of these stories I'm beginning to think I have a real problem!
My camera is about 30 months old so seems to have lasted longer than most, however, I still think I'll have a ago at Olympus despite the age of the camera.

I have attached (I think!) two sample pictures for interest purposes.

Dobby

Dobby
10-13-2005, 10:24 AM
My C5050 has twice provided batches of images with either a blue or red cast. The first time I thought I must have inadvertently changed a settting, but couldn't think what. But having read some of these stories I'm beginning to think I have a real problem!
My camera is about 30 months old so seems to have lasted longer than most, however, I still think I'll have a ago at Olympus despite the age of the camera.

I have attached (I think!) two sample pictures for interest purposes.

Dobby