PDA

View Full Version : kodak CX4300 focus problems

Wilbur
09-14-2004, 04:04 PM
:confused: My CX4300 point and shoot is suddenly having focus problems. Does the focus mechinsms wear out? Kodak just tells me to use a tripod or get my fingers out from the front of the camera :rolleyes: A couple of years of taking great pictures (for a 3.2 mp point and shoot) and the sensors are fried? Is this common? Anyone?

John_Reed
09-14-2004, 04:12 PM
:confused: My CX4300 point and shoot is suddenly having focus problems. Does the focus mechinsms wear out? Kodak just tells me to use a tripod or get my fingers out from the front of the camera :rolleyes: A couple of years of taking great pictures (for a 3.2 mp point and shoot) and the sensors are fried? Is this common? Anyone?That would help us to see what your problem might be.

Wilbur
09-18-2004, 11:50 AM
Camera wasn't dropped and did not get wet (as far as I know). Hope I uploaded the pics okay. Furniture (100_1486)was taken on 3/27/04. Flash used. Moth on 7/23/04. Flash, close up mode. Stuffed animals 9/12/04. This picture was shot indoors with flash. No telephoto. Tripod used.Thanks for your help.

John_Reed
09-18-2004, 12:14 PM
Camera wasn't dropped and did not get wet (as far as I know). Hope I uploaded the pics okay. Furniture (100_1486)was taken on 3/27/04. Flash used. Moth on 7/23/04. Flash, close up mode. Stuffed animals 9/12/04. This picture was shot indoors with flash. No telephoto. Tripod used.Thanks for your help.Wilbur, I couldn't find CX4300 specs on-line, but I wondered if it has an AF illuminator light? May be a dumb question, but if it has one, you might be dangling your finger in front of the light while it's supposed to be illuminating your subject, or the light may be burnt out. Just a thought; all your photos are indoor flash shots, and only the stuffed animals were blurry. So from what you've shown, it may not be a general focus problem, just "focusing in low light" problem.

judge9847
09-18-2004, 01:28 PM
Wilbur, I couldn't find CX4300 specs on-line, but I wondered if it has an AF illuminator light? May be a dumb question, but if it has one, you might be dangling your finger in front of the light while it's supposed to be illuminating your subject, or the light may be burnt out. Just a thought; all your photos are indoor flash shots, and only the stuffed animals were blurry. So from what you've shown, it may not be a general focus problem, just "focusing in low light" problem.
Wilbur, I did manage to find a spec for the CX4300 at Imaging Resource (http://www.imaging-resource.com/EVENTS/PKNA02/1032928925.html) and it doesn't look like it has an AF illuminator light. At the price of the camera, I'd be quite surprised if it did but then, who knows? :)

I've also looked at your photos and with the exception of the stuffed animals, I really can't see what you're saying about focus problems. I'm of the same opinion as John and would say that it looks like you've got a fairly normal low-light focus/motion problem.

If you could repeat the toy photo but this time put the camera on a tripod or some sort of support to keep it steady when you take the photo, you might see your problem has largely disappeared.

Hope that helps a bit more.

Wilbur
10-04-2004, 09:13 PM
Sorry I took so long to reply. I meant to tell you that the first two pictures (furniture,moth) were to show that the camera (and myself) were capable, at one time, of taking in-focus pictures. These new picts are outdoors with plenty of light. Notice how all areas of the pictures are out of focus equally. Almost a "soft focus" like they used to do with vasiline around the edge of clear filters. Btw...lens and focus sensor cleaned and no noticable dirt or fogging. Made sure about the fingers. Thanks again,I really appreciate the input.