PDA

View Full Version : D70 or D70s?

roid122
07-07-2005, 08:38 PM
I have read all the differences between the two and found that you can update the firmware in the D70 to the same as the D70s. I feel that buying a D70 and doing this should make them about the same. Here is my big concern the flash has been improved on the D70s but how much difference is there? I will use this camera for outdoor photos of fire, rescue and crash scenes and for basic indoor family shots.
I have a tameron 28mm-200mm and a tameron 200mm-400mm form my N70 that I hope to use and would like to hear if anyone uses these with their D70 and how well they work.
Also do I really need to buy the kit that comes with the 18mm-70mm or just the body? Is the kit it worth it?
Any help, comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks, PR

TheObiJuan
07-07-2005, 09:09 PM
get the d70 with the kit lens. save your money for other stuff.

D70FAN
07-08-2005, 06:52 AM
I have read all the differences between the two and found that you can update the firmware in the D70 to the same as the D70s. I feel that buying a D70 and doing this should make them about the same. Here is my big concern the flash has been improved on the D70s but how much difference is there? I will use this camera for outdoor photos of fire, rescue and crash scenes and for basic indoor family shots.
I have a tameron 28mm-200mm and a tameron 200mm-400mm form my N70 that I hope to use and would like to hear if anyone uses these with their D70 and how well they work.
Also do I really need to buy the kit that comes with the 18mm-70mm or just the body? Is the kit it worth it?
Any help, comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks, PR

The D70 with 18-70 DX is $999 after $100 rebate. This offer is only going to last until the D70's are cleared from inventory. I have been shooting with the D70, since it came out in March of 2004, and still marvel at it's features and handling. I have moved to the Sigma 18-125 DC for the extra range as my everyday lens. It is every bit as good as the kit lens for about the same price as the DX kit lens for about $270.

I am moving on to the Sigma 18-200 ($400) as it offers even more utility than the 18-125 with the same quality.

If your Tamron lenses worked well on your N70, they will work well on the D70.

thesween
07-08-2005, 01:16 PM
Could someone be kind enough to list the big differences between the D70 and the D70s? Without scouring a technical manual, I'm really unclear as to what the major upgrades were. Anyone? Thanks...

D70FAN
07-08-2005, 03:28 PM
Could someone be kind enough to list the big differences between the D70 and the D70s? Without scouring a technical manual, I'm really unclear as to what the major upgrades were. Anyone? Thanks...

Primarily, the 2" LCD vs. 1.8" LCD. And they make you pay for the, now optional, 3 cell, 2CR emergency battery pack. The rest is pretty much the firmware upgrade offered for the D70.

So not much different, but with the D50 having a larger LCD they needed to upgrade the D70 a little without raising the price.

Warin
07-09-2005, 10:06 AM

In addition to the larger LCD, you also get:

a higher capacity battery
optional cable release (socket on camera) MC-DC1

Ray Schnoor
07-09-2005, 02:49 PM

Although the D70s comes with the higher capacity battery, I am under the impression that this battery will also work with the D70. You could buy one as a backup on the D70. On the other hand, I have never had a problem with the battery life on the D70.
Ray.

Warin
07-09-2005, 04:39 PM
Although the D70s comes with the higher capacity battery, I am under the impression that this battery will also work with the D70. You could buy one as a backup on the D70. On the other hand, I have never had a problem with the battery life on the D70.
Ray.

It certainly will work with the D70 as well. If I was buying a spare for a D70, I would buy an ENEL3a without a doubt.

D70FAN
07-09-2005, 05:25 PM

Thanks Warin I forgot about the cable release. Nice feature, but I have found the IR remote to be sufficient. On the other hand it's a feature that I would use if the D70 had it. ;)

Warin
07-09-2005, 07:28 PM
I have had three customers ask me "fair" prices for their used D70's so they can upgrade to the D70s. I have told all three not to bother, since the upgrade is incremental enough as to be less than significant if they already own D70's. I usually ask if the cable release socket is needed, and list it as the only real reason to buy a 70s instead of a 70.

Of course, since there are VERY few new D70's at Canadian dealers (Nikon stopped ordering the D70 in early February, since that's when I stopped being able to get them) pretty much all of my new customers are getting 70s's :)

thesween
07-10-2005, 08:53 AM
Life would've been easier if Nikon had stuck with the tried and true manual cable release, which was pure simplicity. More importanly, it worked just fine. FWIW, they went with an electronic release with the N70, but went back to the manual release with the N80.

D70FAN
07-10-2005, 05:20 PM
Life would've been easier if Nikon had stuck with the tried and true manual cable release, which was pure simplicity. More importanly, it worked just fine. FWIW, they went with an electronic release with the N70, but went back to the manual release with the N80.

Personally, don't care. The $17 IR remote works just fine.

thesween
07-11-2005, 03:16 PM
Right, my point was that most of us who've been amateur photogs for more than eight minutes have several standard cable releases in our collection of stuff. That aside, the IR remote is reasonably priced, which surprises me somewhat. While I'm at it, I do believe the highly praised F100 also used the basic cable release. Cheers!

sherlock
07-11-2005, 03:22 PM
Right, my point was that most of us who've been amateur photogs for more than eight minutes have several standard cable releases in our collection of stuff. That aside, the IR remote is reasonably priced, which surprises me somewhat. While I'm at it, I do believe the highly praised F100 also used the basic cable release. Cheers!

Hey,

I own an F100 and it takes a cable release that works through its 10-pin outlet on the front of the body, not one that works through the shutter button like standard cable release. I wish it did because the cable it does use is something like $70 US dollars, while the standard release is much cheaper. And yes it is highly praised, as it should be. I love the camera!

Andrew S.

Kenyada
07-12-2005, 01:11 PM
Just out, the August 9th issue of PC Mag gives the 70s a 5-star rating, duplicating the rating given to the D70 over a year ago. According to the First Look review, one area of improvement is in the strength and coverage of the built-in flash of the D70s. "In testing, the D70s took flash shots that improved exposure by about one-half of an f-stop over the D70, and the image showed more even illumination." For those who aren't strapping an SB-600 or 800, that improvement may make a difference. The review goes on to say that D70 owners won't find enough new with the D70s to compel them to trade up.

Cold Snail
07-12-2005, 01:25 PM
For those who aren't strapping an SB-600 or 800, that improvement may make a difference.

I have been sworn at for not getting a SB800, but for my needs my old £1 flashgun (under 250v) delivers the goods.

roid122
07-27-2005, 07:36 PM
OK I finally got the money and am doing to buy the D70 with the lens kit tomorrow, I will try using it without doing the upgrade and see if it suits my needs. I have a couple questions.
1. Lens filter any certain one better than others? Mainly for protecting the lens
2. Buy a spare battery or wait and see it the one it comes with will last for what I need.
3. 1-year extended warranty ($168.00)?
4. 1GB compact flash 80X ($139.00? or use the DANE-ELEC 512 MB I have and the 3 other 256 MBís that I have (no speed listed).
Suggestions, ideas are greatly appreciated.
Thanks, PR

D70FAN
07-27-2005, 09:24 PM
OK I finally got the money and am doing to buy the D70 with the lens kit tomorrow, I will try using it without doing the upgrade and see if it suits my needs. I have a couple questions.
1. Lens filter any certain one better than others? Mainly for protecting the lens
2. Buy a spare battery or wait and see it the one it comes with will last for what I need.
3. 1-year extended warranty ($168.00)?
4. 1GB compact flash 80X ($139.00? or use the DANE-ELEC 512 MB I have and the 3 other 256 MB’s that I have (no speed listed).
Suggestions, ideas are greatly appreciated.
Thanks, PR

So here's my $.02...

1. Don't use filters on my lenses, but keep the lens cap on when not in use. I find that reversing the lens hood goes a log way to protecting against impact.

2. Buy the spare battery and get the emergency CR2 3pack adapter and 3 lithium CR2's (it's great insurance). I get about 600-1000 shots before recharge.

3. Yes. Just in case.

4. If you are planning to do a lot of sports shooting then get the 80X. I keep an 256MB Ultra II in the bag just for that. Most of my cards are 256MB and 512MB at 40X and below. If you are a sports shooter then go for the faster card, but 512 may suffice at a much lower price.