PDA

View Full Version : Sucking up dust

John
09-13-2004, 02:09 PM
Handy Tip! I niticed a spot while looking through the view finder. I suspected it was on the mirror or the prism since I would not see the spot through the view finder if the dust was on the sensor. I had read a thread here someplace regarding a small vacum thar was purchased at Radio Shack. Well, I went to Radio Shack but they no longer stock it. Next, I went to a local computer store. They carried a little mini vac that ran on AA battries and cost nine bucks. The more I looked at it the more I could see it was a piece of junk. I passed on that. As it turns out I had to replace our home hand vac because the battrie was dead and would not charge. Anyway, I went to our local Sears store and went into the hardware department. I found a nice 14.4 volt wet/dry hand vac with replaceable battrie. So, while looking for the the hand vac, hanging on a hook next to the hand vac's was a Micro Cleaning Kit. I started reading the details and the attachment's fit onto a 1 1/4 diameter hose. It just so happens we had a dust devil that uses a 1 1/4 hose. So, I bought it. When I got home I got the D70 out, the vacum and attached the adapter to the end of the hose. It comes with about six different adapters, two of which have little brushes on the end. I fired up the red devil, gently stuck the adapter into the camera and ran it over the mirror and the bottom of the prism. Walla, no dust. What is great about this set up is it provides a good suction. When the time comes I will try it on the sensor. If your interested the Sears Craftsman Micro Cleaning Kit is part number 9 17493 and costs about twelve bucks. It really works. :D

John

Nick
09-13-2004, 05:25 PM
You're giving happy and heartfelt advice, which muchly appreciated! :D :)

However; I shudder to think what the suction might do to the CCD and it's delicate components.

John
09-13-2004, 06:04 PM
Not to worry...the suction isn't that strong but strong enough to take care of dislodged junk (by the small brush adapter)! :)

D70FAN
09-13-2004, 06:10 PM
You're giving happy and heartfelt advice, which muchly appreciated! :D :)

However; I shudder to think what the suction might do to the CCD and it's delicate components.

The CCD is pretty well soldered in place, and is not as delicate as you think. HOWEVER, great care must be taken not to scratch the IR filter glass covering the CCD.

Let us know the outcome. It should work. Thanks for the tip. I'm sure that NikonTech is having a cow... ;) :eek: