PDA

View Full Version : Why so little mention of the Fujifilm S5000 at this site?

PaulA
07-08-2004, 09:47 AM
Hi, all--

First of all, I have been searching for my first DC and being a film SLR man up to now, I wanted certain characterististics like the SLR but at a limited price range ($400 - $500 USD).

I have rarely seen (all over the web) such contrasting and contridicting views on the same cameras.

I was looking for advanced features (super zoom and manual control) that would allow for flexibility while delivering high quality images. That said, I was focusing on the Fujifilm S5000 and the Canon S1 IS.

While no camera came close to perfect, Jeff's review of the S5000 was more openly negative than other cameras of its class with limitations of their own, such as the Kodak DX6490 and even the Canon S1. I don't even see the S5000 mentioned in these forums. Is this an anti-Fuji site?

Well, in doing alot of obsessing (and research), I have found that I wouldn't touch the Kodak and the most reportedly outstanding features of the Canon are moot. I have heard that the image stabilizer of the Canon is an entirely overrated feature and only effective under a limited range of conditions and is primarily for video work (I have even heard it described as a fraud). The same might be said, though (in all fairness), of the Fuji "super ccd"). These features are, at the same time,the greatest features in the world and completely worthless!

Also, without external shutter release control capability, how is anyone going to use the 15 second shutter speed? This type of capability is meaningless. This site incorrectly states the S5000's fasted shutter speed at 1/1000 when it is 1/2000 as in most comparible cameras.

Obviously, some of the criticisms of the S5000 are valid. It is not a perfect camera. But the overcompression (a common complaint) can be eliminated by shooting in RAW mode, which many users (and fans) are doing.

The bottom line is:

I bought the Fujifilm S5000 because I think it is, even with its limitations, the best choice in its class (in my subjective opinion). It's images (which are ultimately the most important thing) equal to any camera in its class and may be better.

Paul Anderson

Jeff Keller
07-08-2004, 10:47 AM
While no camera came close to perfect, Jeff's review of the S5000 was more openly negative than other cameras of its class with limitations of their own, such as the Kodak DX6490 and even the Canon S1. I don't even see the S5000 mentioned in these forums. Is this an anti-Fuji site?

This is not an anti-anything site. The forums are brand new and thus have no messages. I can assure you that we had many, many Fuji threads on the old forums. And I stand by my S5000 review -- it is a camera average in all respects and there are far better choices. I'm sure you'll get responses from others about your "image stabilization is a fraud" comment as well.

John_Reed
07-08-2004, 11:33 AM
I have heard that the image stabilizer of the Canon is an entirely overrated feature and only effective under a limited range of conditions and is primarily for video work (I have even heard it described as a fraud).
I once heard that a cow jumped over the moon, but it was in a nursery-rhyme song, so I didn't take it as fact. To hear you say that IS is a "fraud" is almost akin to your believing that the "cow jumped over the moon." Try this with your 5000: In a dimly-lit environment, snap off a few photos at full telephoto, at shutter speeds down to 1/6 of a second, handheld. I did this this morning with my FZ10, and I could read the text on objects across the room, it was sharp. I even pushed up to digital telephoto, up to 3X, and still got sharp, readable text below 1/10 of a second. Of course, I'm not experienced with a Canon S1, but I've heard similar happy stories from its owners as well. Canon, you know, was the first manufacturer to incorporate IS on their cameras, and even the Olympus 2100UZ, a highly-regarded IS camera to this day, used technology licensed from Canon.
I'm glad you're happy with your 5000; I'd just ask you, when you hear an un-based story like that, to cite your source?

D70FAN
07-08-2004, 03:57 PM
"I bought the Fujifilm S5000 because I think it is, even with its limitations, the best choice in its class (in my subjective opinion). It's images (which are ultimately the most important thing) equal to any camera in its class and may be better."

Before you make such a sweeping statement, you need to actually try the competing camera(s) and print a few 8 x 10's. If you had spent a few minutes running the S5000 and the S1 IS through some real world trials, I think you might have come away with a different outlook.

I had some time (involuntary sabatical) last spring and actually did try both cameras (and about 50 others). While that does not make me an expert, it does allow me some leeway on objective opinion.

I would take you to task on the image quality statement, but it's not worth the time and text. Suffice to say that Fuji makes a decent camera, but I think you have chosen the "jewel encrusted goblet" in this case.

Image Stabilization DOES work, as evidenced by the rapidly growing numbers of professional long zoom lenses from Nikon and Canon with this feature, and the number of professional and amature action photographers singing their praises.

As a final note: Jeff has little control on who posts here, and this new BB is about 1 week old. All of the old BB data was lost in the transistion. Additionally, if he finds something lacking, in a camera he tests, he will let you know, and not gloss it over. I don't think I have ever detected bias in his evaluations. Frankly he doesn't have time for it.

So the next time you decide to jump you might want to bring a parachute, and some degree of expertise, cause you seem to be tangled in the risers.

Jesters8
07-21-2004, 08:02 PM
I'm looking into buying my first real digital camera and the s5000 was the first thing to catch my eye with its features, but after doing some reading up on the matter, I'm less sure. Can anyone whose actually used it and some others and made some prints tell me what they would recommend over the s5000, if not it? And I don't want to spend any more than the s5000 price. Thanks for the assistance.

D70FAN
07-21-2004, 09:23 PM
Give the Canon S1 IS a try. The S5000 is cheaper for a reason. I'm not slamming Fuji, just suggesting that for around the same price you can get a 10X image stabilized lens with lower noise ISO 50/100 capability.

Again it's only a suggestion.

Jesters8
07-22-2004, 12:35 PM
Ok, I've been looking at that camer aand it seems nice, but the review on this site seems to complain of the same problems as were encountered with the s5000. Would people still recommend the Canon over:

Minolta DiMage Z1
Kodak DX6490

D70FAN
07-22-2004, 07:36 PM
Yes. If for no other reason than Image Stabilization (IS). Picture quality, at least to the 8 x 10 print level is a given with almost any mid-priced digital all-in-one.

All of the all-in-one ultra zooms will have some problems due primarily to the long zoom range of the lens. Some worse than others, but consider, for a moment, that an equivelent dSLR lens with the same (or lesser) qualities would cost around $1600.

I don't think people really understand the advantage of IS in shooting very long (10X) telephoto pictures. The feature is astounding. Any of the ultra zooms not having IS would not, in my opinion, be suitable to wear a long lens.

The Minolta Z3 is the newest member of the IS club. So you might want to consider this camera as well.

Bottom line? Try them all and decide which fits you best, but my money would go to an IS equiped camera. FZ10, Canon S1 IS, and pending reviews and actual use, the Z3.