PDA

View Full Version : is it just me or...

haikai
09-12-2004, 11:56 PM
I've been in the market for a Canon G6 for a while now, but have been doing as much research as possible before buying. Is it just me or are nearly all of the low priced online merchants operating out of New York (usually Brooklyn)? And all have virtually identical business hours. And claim to have over 10 years of experience. Are they all in cahoots or what?!

Although reseller reviews seem to be favorable (who knows, maybe they are writing reviews for themselves), the bad reviews I've spotted tend to have similar complaints, namely, having to call back to confirm an order, only to be harassed into buying additional products. If the customer refuses to order the add-ons (which usually seems to be justified by the sales rep with false info), bad things tend to happen to the order such as the item suddenly becoming unavailable.

I've cancelled my order from 3 different places because of the above reasons. This may be my first digital camera purchase online, but I've placed much larger orders online with reputable places and have NEVER had to call to confirm anything. Why submit any info electronically if I have to call anyway?

I'm not accusing anyone of anything (I have yet to order, and, who knows, maybe New York really is the capital of the photography world), but this seems all too suspicious to me. I keep imagining all these storefronts all actually sharing the same warehouse... after all, if a customer doesn't like one place, they're bound to try one of the others!

I can't be the only paranoid person here because I am detecting shades of this in other posts as well. I am seriously considering just buying the camera for a more expensive price from a merchant I trust. Any views on this that might persuade me otherwise?

Hai
:confused:

haikai
09-19-2004, 01:09 AM
Well, I've decided to go with the safer, albeit a bit more expensive, solution. I know calling to confirm is a small price to pay for the savings, but peace of mind is worth more to me than that.

- Hai

:o